Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rain

Strolling down the alley
I enjoy the air lil' windy

Max the pup from next door
scratches on the cement floor
Is it sharpening its canine claw
or begging for its itchy jaw?

It looks through the windows
of Mabel the widow.
She chatters on the telephone
with a light hearted tone
and when she hears Max'es groan
she puffed a weary moan
But Mabel throws the dog a bone
then sends it running home.

A streak of lightning through the sky
and motorcycles speeding by
and the looming night
indicating a watery sight.

Rain.

Pitter-patter sounds so sooth
droplets fall upon zinc roofs
increasing the pace i move
before the rain comes in a whoosh

Returning to where i started
Mabel was still like a faucet
raising her voice through the mouth piece
she sounded like a flock of geese

Max scurried to its home
still gnawing at its bone
nobody heard its whimper
and so it got wetter

I reached the end of the alley
and stopped in front of a gully
should I jump at the count of three
my conscience sure would disagree.

Its the long route now I guess
or could I just sit down and rest?

I looked to the black yonder
and thought of my mother
She would be sitting there to wait
and wonder why am I so late

So I then made up my mind
to race home before dinner-time
I ran as though someone's behind
But the rain stopped suddenly so divine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.